August 15, 2012



What's nicer than a little vacation time, removed from the world that 'is too much with us'?  I am back from one of my favorite get-away locations, beautiful Door County, Wisconsin.  This little peninsula at the top of north-eastern Wisconsin juts out into Lake Michigan, with Green Bay on one side and Lake Michigan on the other.  The tiny hamlets of Egg Harbor, Fish Creek, Ephraim, Sister Bay, Ellison Bay, Gills Rock, Bailey's Harbor and Jacksonport (each with populations ranging from 200-2000) are friendly, welcoming, and remind me so much of New England.  The views are spectacular and after a day of hiking, picnicking, and kite flying, nothing is better than a campfire, some s'mores and a delicious piece of Door County cherry pie.  Today it's back to work, but even while I'm sitting at my desk I'm sure I will be dreaming of my next trip 'up north'!  Here's a poem by Emily Bronte--she must have felt the need of a small vacation also.

A Little While, A Little While
Emily Jane Bronte

A little while, a little while,
The noisy crowd are barred away;
And I can sing and smile--
A little while I've holiday!

Where wilt thou go, my harassed heart?
Full many a land invites thee now;
And places near, and far apart
Have rest for thee, my weary brow--

A little and a lone green lane,
That opened on a common wide;
A distant, dreamy, dim blue chain
Of mountains circling every side;

A heaven so clear, an earth so calm,
So sweet, so soft, so hushed an air;
And, deepening still the dream-like charm,
Wild moor-sheep feeding everywhere.


I hope you have a great day.  Thanks for stopping by to read my blog!  What are some of your favorite destinations?  I would love to hear from you!

You can find the full poem at:
http://www.wuthering-heights.co.uk/emily-bronte-poetry.htm#littlewhile

All pictures are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment