August 9, 2012

Good morning!  I've got travel on my mind today...many of my co-workers are on vacation, my daughter and her boyfriend are just heading back from the Black Hills, and my brother and his family is heading towards Utah.  I am looking forward to a long camping weekend---walking by Lake Michigan, sitting around a campfire and marveling at the star studded night sky.  I think Walt Whitman was feeling the same urge to get and up go with this excerpt from Song of the Open Road.

Afoot and light-hearted I take to the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good-fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing.
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querulous criticisms,
Strong and content I travel the open road.

The earth, that is sufficient,
I do not want the constellations any nearer,
I know they are very well where they are,
I know they suffice for those who belong to them.

I think heroic deeds were all conceived in the open air, and all free poems also,
I think I could stop here myself and do miracles,
I think whatever I shall meet on the road I shall like, and
whoever beholds me shall like me
I think whoever I see must be happy.


White Mountains, New Hampshire

May your day be filled with happiness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment