August 8, 2012

Good morning!  I was sitting on my deck early this morning enjoying a cup of tea before work, and I saw a lovely spider web shimmering in the sunlight.  It reminded me of a story I heard last September when visiting the Orchard House in Concord, MA.  Louisa May Alcott wrote Little Women at Orchard House, and I love visiting her home and soaking in all the history and anecdotes about the Alcott family.  Our guide shared a story about Thoreau, who was a much loved family friend, and the Alcott sisters.  He always enjoyed taking them on nature walks, and would point out spider webs as 'fairy handkerchiefs'.  A few days later my husband and I were visiting Robert Frost's farm in Derry, NH, and came across a lovely fairy handkerchief in the meadow. 


A noiseless patient spider
by Walt Whitman

A noiseless patient spider,
I mark'd where on a little promontory it stood isolated,
Mark'd how to explore the vacant vast surrounding,
It launch'd forth filament, filament, filament, out of itself,
Ever unreeling them, ever tirelessly speeding them.

And you O my soul where you stand,
Surrounded, detached, in measureless oceans of space,
Ceaselessly musing, venturing, throwing, seeking the spheres to connect them,
Till the bridge you will need be form'd, till the ductile anchor hold,
Till the gossamer thread you fling catch somewhere, O my soul.

I hope your day is filled with magical moments!

No comments:

Post a Comment