August 24, 2012

I am always surprised when the week turns to the weekend so fast--eight hours of work today, and then I can relax and play!  I plan to shop and visit with my daughter tomorrow (she's moving to a new apartment next week so I imagine the visit and shopping will center around her decorating ideas!), and I also want to finish up two pillows I have been working on.  I have taken the plunge and signed up for a beginner quilting class this fall and am looking forward to learning another craft.  It's a big world of fun out there, isn't it?!

And speaking of fun, it looks like this picture really may be of Emily Dickinson!  Dr. Susan Pepin, Associate Professor of Surgery (Ophthalmology) and Pediatrics at Dartmouth Medical Center, has carefully studied the daguerreotype and draws the conclusion that the lovely, assured woman on the left is indeed 'our' Emily.
You can read about her research at http://www.emilydickinsonmuseum.org/node/390/.  I find it fascinating to think that Emily's photo was hidden for over 150 years.  The evidence is mounting that this is Emily on the left and her good friend Kate Scott Turner on the right.  You can also find more fascinating facts about the research behind this picture (including the investigation at the Emily Dickinson textile collection as to whether a blue checked fabric in the collection might match the pictured dress) at https://www.amherst.edu/library/archives/holdings/edickinson/new_daguerreotype.  Here's a poem that I have always loved--my hope today is that all of us in some way or another can ease the burden in someone's life. 

Kate Scott Turner (right) and possible Emily Dickinson (left 

If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
- Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment