February 22, 2013

I am in need of music...


“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.”

―  Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I have this quote pinned to the board above my computer at work, where I can read it everyday and remind myself to not let daily life blot out my appreciation for the 'sense of the beautiful.' 
Pinned Image
http://piccsy.com
It's Friday and after a long week at work and doing taxes and filling out financial aid forms in the evening, I am so ready for the weekend and a little r&r.  The weekend officially starts this evening with a chamber orchestra concert featuring world renowned violinist Tasmin Little.  She was recently awarded the prestigious Order of the British Empire from Queen Elizabeth and I am so excited that I have the opportunity to hear her in person.  I would agree with Elizabeth Bishop today--I am in need of music that will touch my soul and wash away the cares of the work week. 

 

Sonnet (1928)


I am in need of music that would flow
Over my fretful, feeling finger-tips,
Over my bitter-tainted, trembling lips,
With melody, deep, clear, and liquid-slow.
Oh, for the healing swaying, old and low,
Of some song sung to rest the tired dead,
A song to fall like water on my head,
And over quivering limbs, dream flushed to glow!

There is a magic made by melody:
A spell of rest, and quiet breath, and cool
Heart, that sinks through fading colors deep
To the subaqueous stillness of the sea,
And floats forever in a moon-green pool,
Held in the arms of rhythm and of sleep.


Pinned Image

Have a wonderful day! 

1 comment:

  1. Ah, we all need some music in our lives. Enjoy!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete