February 15, 2013

Love is not love...

http://christinaandvictoria.blogspot.com/2012/02/love-banner.html

I'm finishing my 'romantic couples' week with a few of my favorites from the movies.  My husband and I ended up watching part of Gone With the Wind last night, but I can't honestly say that Rhett and Scarlett have ever been favorites of mine.  While I understand many of her choices I never really liked her selfish scheming and over the top obsession with Ashley Wilkes.  But there are three love stories captured on film that I do love, even though my husband protests that the films are way too sad for him.  What I love about these three love stories is that each couple is faithful to the other until the very end of life, no matter what happens along the way--illness and old age, Alzheimer's Disease, or even separation by time travel--their love stays pure and true and faithful.  And what's not to love about that?


I just had one of those Oprah 'ah-ha' moments...as I was typing this I realized that why I love these three couples so much is because they remind me of my parents.  Even when Parkinson's Disease slowed my father's body it couldn't keep his spirit down, and it certainly didn't stop my mother from loving him, caring for him, and respecting him until his time on earth was ended.  When my parents vowed to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part they meant it.

Favorite movie couples:  Carl and Ellie (Up--Disney)
 



Noah and Allie, from The Notebook:



and Richard and Elise (from Somewhere in Time, film by Jeannot Szwarc)

and finally, thank you to my mother and father, who showed me what true love is all about:






I'm linking to Claudia's Favorite Thing Saturday.  Please join the fun at www.mockingbirdhillcottage.com!




4 comments:

  1. Awww, sweet. My Mom and Dad were my role models too. Thru thick and thin, sickness and health. My Dad passed away a few months ago, but my Mom got him a valentine present and put it next to his picture. This kind of love isn't just "til death us do part". This is a for always and forever love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet post and tribute to your parents. UP is one of my favorite movies, it makes me cry - love the scrapbook of their life together.

    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Martha, what a beautiful post! I'm with you. A relationship that lasts and stands the test of time through thick and thin - that's the best kind of relationship.

    Scarlett and Rhett didn't really do it for me, either. Maybe briefly, when I was in 8th grade and read the book for the first time. But as an adult? No. I just felt sorry for Rhett.

    Thanks so much for joining in this week!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is dear that you find reminders of your parents in such different places. That says a lot about their dimension.

    ReplyDelete