March 4, 2014

Unexpected pleasures


What is more delightful than an unexpected gift arriving in your mailbox?  Just when I was feeling completely wrung out from this lingering bronchitis/pneumonia and my spirits were low from this never ending winter wasteland (funny how the same snowy backyard scene in December was a "winter wonderland", and how I'm now describing it as wasteland...) I found a small package sitting in my mailbox, virtually singing "hey look at me! open me and I'll cheer you right up!"  So I did and look what I found!

Sing for joy to God our strength, shout joyfully to the God of Jacob.  
Raise a song, strike the timbrel! (Psalm 81:1-2)

Is this just not the cutest apron ever??  My friend Mary, who has shared in my adventures abroad, and is a fellow violinist, writes the most amazing letters (you can read about her latest letter here) and occasionally tucks a special gift in the mail guaranteed to make me smile and lift my spirits.  She outdid herself with this lovely, thoughtful and oh-so-cheery apron, which I promptly donned and so adorned cranked out my first loaf of marshmallow bread!

Singing and making melody to the Lord with all your heart (Ephesians 5:19)

I suppose if I were to correctly carry the Biblical verses throughout this blog, I should have made Ezekial bread (Ezekial 4:9) but I was led astray by the temptation of a three ingredient bread...quick rising flour, milk and marshmallow fluff.  Yup, marshmallow fluff!!  And the result was dee-licious!!  Toasted for breakfast it literally melted in my mouth and was sooo good.  You can find the recipe here.


A glad heart makes a cheerful face (Proverbs 15:13)

What is more delightful than an unexpected gift?  I guess the answer to that is there is nothing more delightful than having wonderful friends.

And here is a cheerful poem by George David Clark about cooking in the kitchen that made me smile...I hope you enjoy it too!

Lullaby with Succotash

maybe start talking say I like those

dangly things on your ears they’re called earrings
I know that and while you’re talking get out a bowl
and start peeling oranges to your lady say
can you do the succotash? and if yes do the succotash
with her a couple laps around the kitchen
with one hand on the small of her back and the other
hand
still peeling oranges add some key lime custard
and cherries and chocolate chips and syrup
are we making an doozie? tell her yes to doozie
and smile why are you smiling? say just the way
you do the succotash with your hips and your eyes
going half the way through me pour in banana pudding
and clear tequila you’ll make me dizzy
I know that you’ll make me naked I know that
turn on the radio shake a little music
out of the speaker right into the bowl maybe stop talking
maybe kiss her neck maybe stir everything up
let her taste a spoonful if it needs a pinch of cinnamon
that’s why we have spices take the dangly things
off her ears they’re called earrings I know that
put the earrings in the bowl say your skin baby
say your lips say your sugar baby say taste it again
and if she thinks it’s ready say let’s eat it in bed


No comments:

Post a Comment