January 29, 2013

When it rains....it pours!


Snoopy got it right last night...the thunder woke me up at 1:27 and there was no going back to sleep.  Winds, rain, thunder claps...in January.  I finally gave up trying to get back to sleep and ended up watching all 3.5 hours of Out of Africa as I listened to the storm rage outside.  For some odd reason the old Morton salt phrase 'when it rains it pours' kept popping into my head, reminding me of a couple of kitchen cross stitch patterns I did during my 'country' phase.

What is it with this strange winter weather?  It's supposed to reach a high of almost 60 degrees today (in January.  In Wisconsin), then rain tonight that will freeze on the roads, followed by up to six inches of snow tomorrow.  A high of 30 degrees tomorrow, and then only 12 degrees on Thursday!  The radio was warning which roads to avoid during rush hour this morning due to flooding.  This is nuts, seriously.


It rained so hard even my owl was pretty quiet last night, although this morning my husband and I got our first peek at him, perched in the evergreen in our backyard.  He looked wet and bedraggled and HUGE.  I'll keep my eye out and my camera handy and maybe I'll get lucky with a picture or two.
First winter rain 
by Matsuo Basho
First winter rain--
even the monkey
seems to want a raincoat.


Okay, this post seems to be all over the place--wet owls, typing beagles, and the Morton salt girl, plus a poem about a monkey in a raincoat.  This is what happens when I watch long movies all night long instead of getting a good night's sleep!

1 comment:

  1. The weather is strange here, too. In the low twenties to 0 for a week, then snow, then ice, now it's in the forties and tomorrow it will be in the fifties. Then cold again. Yikes. Spring can't come soon enough!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete