January 7, 2013


And....it's that time of year again!  No, I don't mean the 'taking down the holiday decorations' time, nor do I mean it's football playoffs time again.  It's something far more grand and breathtaking and addicting...it's Downton Abbey time!  Having waited almost ten months for Season Three, last night's premiere did not disappoint.  All the elements for fun were there...Matthew and Mary still squabbling, clear up to the wedding altar, sister Edith still rather catty and snide, and sister Sybil and her former chauffeur husband stirring up society.

Lady Violet is in rare form with her witty one-liners:
Countess Violet: “I’m so looking forward to seeing your mother again. When I’m with her, I’m reminded of the virtues of the English.”
Matthew: “But isn’t she American?”
Countess Violet: “Exactly”

Of course Carson the butler still rules the downstairs with his unyielding dedication to tradition and the family.  And then there is Bates, the wrongly imprisoned valet, whom Carson defends to Thomas, the snooty and scheming current valet: "May I remind you, Mr Barrow, that in this house Mr. Bates is a wronged man seeking justice. If you have any problems with that definition, I suggest you eat in the yard."  Oh my, what's not to love about this show!

With such a British start to the new week, I thought you might enjoy this utterly delightful poem I found yesterday, when looking for something special to include with my Downton post. This particular poem seemed rather apropos after an evening of formal dining rooms and parlor talk.  I was unfamiliar with John Betjeman, a British poet born in 1906 near Highgate, London.  He became a well known poet and served as poet laureate in England in 1969.  I'm going to be sharing a few more of his poems during the week, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I am. 

How To Get On In Society
 by John Betjeman.

Phone for the fish-knives, Norman
As Cook is a little unnerved;
You kiddies have crumpled the serviettes
And I must have things daintily served.

Are the requisites all in the toilet?
The frills round the cutlets can wait
Till the girl had replenished the cruets
And switched on the logs in the grate.

It's ever so close in the lounge, dear,
But the vestibule's comfy for tea
And Howard is out riding on horseback
So do come and take some with me.

Now here is a fork for your pastries
And do use the couch for your feet;
I know what I wanted to ask you -
If trifle sufficient for sweet?

Milk and then just as it comes, dear?
I'm afraid the preserve's full of stones;
Beg pardon, I'm soiling the doileys
With afternoon tea-cakes and scones.

Have a lovely start to the new week..Cheerio!



No comments:

Post a Comment