October 25, 2013

Historic and hip...

What's in your bag? (via: @ohkalli)

I've always liked this quote by Solzhenitsyn, and today's blog seemed a good place to try it out. This morning I'm reaching into my own travel bag of memories and sharing a few more glimpses of Providence, Rhode Island with you. The conference I was attending was really good and in addition to great memories and new acquaintances I also brought back a real travel bag stuffed with good ideas on donor stewardship I hope to implement in my department over the next few months.  
One of the city brochures in my hotel room described Providence as "historic and hip, sophisticated and small town, packing the best of New England into one convenient and colorful package."  I think the writer was spot on.
Historic...






Hip...



 
...a colorful package


I'm not sure which picture of the "Superman" building I like more, the business tone of stark daylight or the softened colors of the setting sun. It's real name is the Industrial Trust Tower, but has long been known more affectionately as the "Superman" building — named for its resemblance to the building the Man of Steel leaped "in a single bound" in the original 1950's TV series.  This iconic art deco-style skyscraper, the tallest in the state, lost its last tenant when Bank of America's lease expired in April.  Discussions are underway on how to best re-purpose this beautiful building, either with new office space or luxury condos.  

...the best of New England
 
Providence is located at the head of Narragansett Bay, with the Providence River running into the bay through the center of the city, formed by the confluence of the Moshassuck River and Woonasquatucket Rivers. I never did figure out quite how to pronounce the rivers, although back home I've mastered the pronunciation of Oconomowoc and Manitowoc like a native Cheesehead. Waterplace Park amphitheater and river walks line the river's banks through downtown, and offer great photo ops for admiring visitors.
 

 
If you venture just a few miles outside of Providence, a world of opulence and grandiosity awaits you in the famed Newport mansions!  Tomorrow we'll explore the famous Cliff Walk and beaches in Newport--I hope you can join me for a breath of fresh sea air!


1 comment:

  1. I have never been to Providence, but it looks like a wonderful town! Luxury condos would be really cool in the superman building.

    ReplyDelete