October 31, 2013

A "splash" of Hollywood!



I've written about all of my backyard friends, including the great horned owl that keeps us up at nights, our cheeky cardinals, our lovely goldfinches and elusive hummingbirds, and even the bats that rise en masse out of our huge old pine tree and take to the skies every night at dusk.  So it may come as a bit of a surprise to know that I have a deep rooted terror of birds.  I've learned over time to admire them from a distance and I love listening to their cheerful songs, but if one comes too close?  You'll know where to find me...I'll be the one cowering under the nearest chair!  So on our recent trip to Cape Cod's Chatham Beach I watched a movie scene unfold right before my eyes that left me scampering through the sand back to the car as fast as I could scurry. I thought Halloween was the perfect time to share it!

It all started with my husband and I innocently standing on the beach
Funny, I never noticed before how much we look like Rod Taylor and Tippi Hedren...
We were enjoying the parade of fishing boats entering the harbor
Note the boat's name---could it be more perfect?!
Hmmm...look at those boats way out there.  Is that mist over them?

And then the boats grew closer...

BIRDS!  MILLIONS OF BIRDS!
(My husband says I'm over-dramatizing but it's my story and I'm sticking with it)

At least I was nice enough to gather the children from the beach as I ran pell mell to the car:

After that horrifying experience (okay, maybe horrifying is a little too dramatic...) we drove through Chatham village and discovered this lovely church bedecked with pumpkins, pumpkins and more pumpkins. A truly welcome respite from birds!

What a charming sight as you arrive for a Sunday service!

And on this slightly less scary note, I'll leave you with this pumpkin poem by Carl Sandburg and my best wishes for a safe and fun-filled Halloween!

Theme in Yellow
I SPOT the hills
With yellow balls in autumn.
I light the prairie cornfields
Orange and tawny gold clusters
And I am called pumpkins.
On the last of October
When dusk is fallen
Children join hands
And circle round me
Singing ghost songs
And love to the harvest moon;
I am a jack-o'-lantern
With terrible teeth
And the children know
I am fooling.


























No comments:

Post a Comment