October 29, 2013

"Going back from whence we came...."

 

Lucky me!  After my conference ended my husband flew to Rhode Island and joined me for a long weekend on Cape Cod.  It's a short drive (just over an hour) from Providence to the Cape, so this was our perfect opportunity to explore the Cape.  We didn't have time for Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket, but oh my, did we have fun visiting some of the quaint villages.  We stayed in Hyannis, and our first stop was for lunch at a clam shack and my first ever mashed potato crab cake with a sour cream remoulade.  Delicious!!  We ate outside and watched the action in the harbor...the sunlight rippling across the water was beautiful.


Afterwards we visited the JFK Memorial Park, a small but lovely area dedicated to the President who loved this section of Massachusetts so much.  I thought these remarks by JFK from a 1964 speech in tribute to Robert Frost were appropriate to share with these pictures of his memorial.


I look forward to an America which commands respect throughout the world, not only for its strength but for its civilization as well.


I look forward to an America which will not be afraid of grace and beauty
 

...which will protect the beauty of our national environment



If more politicians knew poetry, and more poets knew politics, I am convinced the world would be a better place to in which to live.


"I really don't know why it is that all of us are
so committed to the sea, except I think it's because
in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and
the light changes, and ships change, it's because
we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting
biological fact that all of us have in our veins
the exact same percentage of salt in our blood
that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have
salt in our blood, our sweat, and in our tears.
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back
to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch it,
we are going back from whence we came."

--Pres. John F. Kennedy, Australian Ambassador's Dinner for
the America's Cup Crews, September 14, 1962, Newport, R.I.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment