October 23, 2013

And so he plays his part...

What's the saying...time flies when you're having fun?  In my case it might be closer to the truth to say time flies when you are overloaded at work, because I realized I haven't posted in six days now!  I put in close to 21 hours working on a special presentation for work over the weekend so my days are all kind of blurring together. As Oprah would say, the "one thing I know for sure" is that it's been too long since I've written a post.  I miss writing, but even more, I miss the connection to all of you.  And where else can I highlight the exploits of my amazingly gifted red headed, mustachioed son?


Today I thought you might enjoy seeing a few scenes from the play we took my mother to see when she was visiting us recently.  I would say it was my youngest son's LAST college play, but I've learned never to say that, as I made the same claim last spring!  He graduates in December, though, and didn't try out for the upcoming play (even though the director begged him) so I think I am fairly safe in saying it was his last play as a student, but it's a funny but true facts that kids can often prove their mothers wrong, so I'll just say we enjoyed seeing the performance and loved watching him act.  He's a natural on stage (don't I sound like a mother?!).  But it's not just my opinion...I've sat in the audience many times in his college theater and overheard other patrons comment on his acting, and I've been with him on campus when strangers have stopped him to gush over his latest role on stage or film.
 

The play was The Underpants, an adaptation by Steve Martin from the original 1910 German farce by playwright Carl Sternheim. The play revolves around a conservative civil servant who fears he will lose his job and be disgraced after his wife's bloomers fall down in public during a procession of the King. But instead of scandal, the unintentional display delivers two borders for the extra room he plans to rent. Oblivious to their amorous intentions, he splits the room between them, happy to collect double rent, while his wife enjoys the attention her wardrobe malfunction has delivered.  My son played the obnoxious, oblivious civil servant to perfection. Good thing he was my son, because I sure didn't like his
character much!



It's been such a joy to see him perform on stage over the past few years.  He has had some truly memorable roles and it's been so much fun to see him grow, expand and mature as an actor.  I'll miss his productions, but of course I'm looking forward to whatever path he chooses to take next!



And our family tradition is that after the play wraps for the night, all of us head to our favorite local restaurant for pie, ice cream and raucous laughter.  We're always the loud, rambunctious group in the corner, but at 11 pm who really cares?  With two sons and a daughter who all love to act, the impersonations and lines from plays go on and on and on...and the cherry on the ice cream this time was my mother was there to enjoy it all as well.
My mother and her crazy grandchildren

What do you think of my son's moustache?!  He had to wax the ends to get it "just right" for the German play.  It made me snicker every time I looked at him!
My mother with my son and his girlfriend
So you can imagine my delight when I saw these cute little knitted guys on Facebook the other day...the mustache looked oh so familiar!

Photo: So why do these little guys remind me of my son, Matthew Scales?!

And in honor of my son, who has played all his parts with such talent and grace, here are a few lines from Shakespeare's As You Like It.

All the World's a Stage

All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His acts being seven ages. At first, the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then the whining schoolboy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation
Even in the cannon's mouth. And then the justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment