November 29, 2012

What draws people to be friends is that they see the same truth. They share it.”

--C.S. Lewis



Happy birthday, C.S. Lewis!  When the world turns cold and frosty, I recall the beautiful scenes in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe where all of Narnia is covered in winter, awaiting the magic of Aslan and the Pevensie clan to release it from the spell of Jadis, the White Witch.  I have fond memories of reading the books to my younger siblings all across Montana and Wyoming in an un-airconditioned station wagon, and thinking how wonderful a world of ice would feel during that hot August trip!  My first car in college (a hand-me-down station wagon from my grandfather that was perfect for lcramming many girls in for late night bakery runs) was named the Dawn Treader, in honor of the mighty ship that bore Prince Caspian, Lucy, Edmund and nasty Eustace past the Lone Islands and on to the Easternmost Ocean.

Later, I had the joy of re-discovering Aslan and Mr. Tumnis all over again when my own little ones clamored to hear the stories of magical kingdoms filled with talking animals, including dashing little mice with deadly swords.  One of my favorite parts of the first book was the lovely friendship that blossomed between Lucy and Mr. Tumnis.  From two different worlds, these two were able to form a strong bond of trust and friendship and loyalty.  While The Chronicles of Narnia are labeled as children's literature, the underlying message is certainly for adults as well, and during this advent season of preparation it might be nice to revisit these perennial favorites as a way of preparing our hearts for the light of Christmas Day.  Thank you, C.S. Lewis, for sharing your beautiful stories with our world, which needs a little thawing also.



The Nativity C. S. Lewis

Among the oxen (like an ox I'm slow)
I see a glory in the stable grow
Which, with an ox's dullness might at length
Give me an ox's strength.

Among the asses (stubborn I as they)
I see my Saviour where I looked for hay;
So may my beastlike folly learn at least
The patience of a beast.

Among the sheep (I like a sheep have strayed)
I watch the manger where my Lord is laid;
Oh that my baa-ing nature would win thence
Some wooly innocence!

No comments:

Post a Comment