November 2, 2012


In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips


When I was eight years old, my dad dropped my little sister and me off at my aunt's house on his way to the hospital with my mother.  A few hours later I was sitting in her living room when my aunt came in and announced good news--I had another baby sister!  To be perfectly honest, at the time I didn't see what all the hubbub was about...I already HAD a sister!!  But over time, I have come to cherish my baby sister.  Growing up, we were eight years apart so we had wildly divergent tastes--I was the ultimate first-born goody-two shoes prissy sort of girl, and she was a tomboy through and through when she was young. 

After college she followed her heart and served in the Peace Corps, and then went on to serve as a mental health counselor, providing comfort and help to so many in need.  She is a wonderful and supportive wife, a loving mother, and simply the best daughter, sister and friend you could ask for.  She rolled up her sleeves and carrried on as a 'single mom' through two deployments of her husband in Afghanistan.  She is currently serving as a 'surrogate mom' to an Italian high school exchange student, while her own son is studying abroad this year.  Yesterday she spent hours on the phone securing help for a woman who desperately needed someone in her corner.  When tornados struck the Midwest a couple of years ago, my sister and her family cut short their vacation in order to drive to one of the hardest hit areas, where they spent two days in merciless heat unloading food and water with the American Red Cross. 

Not a day goes by that we don't text, email, facebook or call each other.  I am so blessed that she is in my life, and I guess I have figured out what all the hubbub was about (and I'm being kind and not telling how many years ago it happened!)  Every time I listen to Carly Simon's beautiful song, Two Little Sisters, I think of my little sister--she has gone as far as the corners of the sky and wears the brighest stars in her hair.  And one day, we'll be lucky enough to be two daughters dancing at the edge of the sea.  I love you, Stephanie--happy birthday!


 Two little sisters gazing at the sea,
Imagining what their futures will be.

The older one says, as her eyes look around,
"I will go as far as the corners of the town.
I'll plant a little garden, flowers everywhere.
And pluck the most fragrant for my hair."

Two little sisters gazing at the sea,
Imagining what their futures will be.

The younger one stands with her eyes open wide.
And says, "I'll go as far as the corners of the sky.
I'll gather all the stars each night as they appear,
And pick the very brightest one to wear in my ear."

I didn't choose you and you didn't choose me.
I didn't choose you, who would guess we're from the same family?

But, what will you do when the nights get cold?
When the stars grow dim and your dreams seem old.
Watcha gonna do when winter calls,
And your flowers fall from the garden walls?

I'll come home to you, you'll come home to me.
My love will be your remedy.
I'll choose you and you'll choose me.
We'll be two daughters dancing by the edge of the sea






No comments:

Post a Comment