November 15, 2012

“Piglet noticed that even though he had a Very Small Heart, it could hold a rather large amount of Gratitude.” 

from Winnie the Pooh, by A.A. Milne

One week to Thanksgiving!  Remember my to-do list from last week?  Status update....the dog is now bathed and looks great.  Other than that, well, let's just say I need to get in gear!  Thank goodness neither my sister or my mother own a pair of white gloves for checking dust.  Do you think it's rude to put 'do not open' signs on closets (and rooms!) where I am reasonably sure I'm going to be stuffing/hiding things at the last minute? (just kidding...well, maybe not kidding...!) 

Of course, Thanksgiving isn't about perfectly decorated homes (at this point, though, I'd settle for a picked-up home...I think clutter multiplies while I sleep).  Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays--a day to be deeply grateful for all the blessings bestowed upon my family.  I am keenly aware that this year even the simplest of things we take for granted should fill our hearts with gratitude--when thousands are still without power, I am grateful that I can shower when I wake up, turn on the lights to read, watch a television show or movie, cook a hot dinner for my family.  When so many have lost their homes and belongings, I am so grateful to have my home.  When so many of our fellow countrymen and women are struggling to find jobs, I am thankful that both my husband and I are employed.  I do not take these things lightly. 

Cultivating a spirit of gratitude starts early.  Like Piglet, my husband and I have always wanted our children to incorporate thankfulness into their daily lives.  It is no coincidence that my family starts each meal with a simple prayer/song of gratitude, the Swedenborgian Hymn, better known as the Johnny Appleseed Song.  The lyrics are simple and easy to learn, but the meaning is powerful...the Lord's been good to me.  Today, even though my heart is very small, like Piglet's, it holds a large amount of gratitude. 




 

Oh, the Lord's been good to me.
And so I thank the Lord
For giving me the things I need:
The sun, the rain and the appleseed;
Oh, the Lord's been good to me.


 
I wake up every day
As happy as can be,
Beacuse I know the Lord is there
Watchin' over all my friends and me
The Lord is good to me.



God gave you a gift of 86,400 seconds today. Have you used one to say thank you?                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment