October 6, 2012

Today has just run away!  I had planned to write this post this morning, but I slept in because I was up late at a concert last night.  I had a hair appointment then my husband suggested seeing a movie (Taken 2, for any of you Liam Neeson fans out there!)  I'll balance the action/adventure with tomorrow night's Masterpiece Theater screening of season two of Upstairs/Downstairs.  After the movie I thought I would 'close my eyes for a few minutes'....well, around here that's my codeword for Mom's taking a long nap and don't disturb her!  Since I slept so long there was no time to make dinner, so we just returned from a quick trip to our favorite Mexican restaurant, and now it's time to get ready to go to a Disney pops concert this evening.  I don't know when a day has flown by so quickly!  My photograph was taken in September, before the leaves turned color, so it it's not as colorful as others I could have chosen, but I wanted to use it because I took the picture at Robert Frost's farm last fall, and of course you know the poem that was going through my mind....!

 

The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
 
This remains one of my favorite poems of all time.  What poems still come to mind for you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment