October 2, 2012


"Remember this, that very little is needed to make a happy life."--Marcus Aurelius



What do you write about on a Tuesday morning?  You have already greeted the week on Monday, and it's not 'hump' day yet, and it is certainly too far from the weekend to comment on upcoming plans.  I guess Tuesday is just a day to good things--go to work, take care of the family, and try to share a little happiness when and where you can.  I keep a quote posted on my bulletin board at work by Robert Louis Stevenson:
"There is no duty we so much underrate as the duty of being happy. By being happy, we sow anonymous benefits upon the world, which remain unknown even to ourselves, or when they are disclosed, surprise nobody so much as the benefactor."

I think Carl Sandburg had a inkling of what happiness was when he penned this poem in 1912.  I hope you enjoy it, and that you find some happy things today!

Happiness
I ASKED the professors who teach the meaning of life to tell
me what is happiness.
And I went to famous executives who boss the work of
thousands of men.
They all shook their heads and gave me a smile as though
I was trying to fool with them
And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along
the Desplaines river
And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with
their women and children 
and a keg of beer and an
accordion.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment