October 19, 2012


In my fantasy life I am still in bed this morning, snuggled under the comforter with hot tea in one hand, a Victorian novel in the other and my sweet puppy curled up next to me.  I might later on drift to the family room and doze by the fireplace, still in my flannel pajamas of course.  I might even muster up enough energy to bake some scones or Irish soda bread, perfect for a mid-morning tea break!  But since my fantasy life is, well, a fantasy, I am instead in my office clothes, high heels and makeup, getting ready to head to the office on this very rainy, gloomy day.  Did I mention I work in a cubicle with no windows in sight?  Thank goodness I tucked extra English Breakfast tea bags in my purse this morning for a little tea-time cheer on this rather dreary day!

I think Louisa May Alcott must have been looking out her bedroom window at her garden on just such a day when she penned the little poem below.  I feel the same sense of poignant loss looking out at my garden this time of year..flowers, dear flowers, farewell! 



The Frost-King - Song 1
by Louisa May Alcott
We are sending you, dear flowers
Forth alone to die,
Where your gentle sisters may not weep
O'er the cold graves where you lie;
But you go to bring them fadeless life
In the bright homes where they dwell,
And you softly smile that't is so,
As we sadly sing farewell.
O plead with gentle words for us,
And whisper tenderly
Of generous love to that cold heart,
And it will answer ye;
And though you fade in a dreary home,
Yet loving hearts will tell
Of the joy and peace that you have given:
Flowers, dear flowers, farewell!



Alcott Garden at Orchard House


No comments:

Post a Comment