November 7, 2013

Choosing to live in the light of hope

Night before last I spent a few moments watching the election coverage on the news.  It seemed like more of the same...divisive speeches rather than honest and forthright discourse with the intent to draw all of us together to chart a course for America's future.  I hate to admit it, but I think as a nation we are more divided and less tolerant now than we were even a few years ago and I'm not sure what it is going to take to change course and band together for the common good.


When my husband and I visited Providence, RI, last month we came upon a beautiful exhibit along the river at Water Place Park.


Called the Wall of Hope, it was Rhode Island's creative response to September 11, 2001. Composed of tiles designed and painted by local school children, I am beginning to wonder if perhaps the children of our nation have a better understanding of what we need to do to once again have a united nation.








Inscribed on the block of stone beside the exhibit are these words.  The last line really resonates with me.

The message of the wall of hope is clear
We may be afraid but we will not live in fear
We may be angry but we will not let anger divide our community
We may be saddened by our loss, but we will never forget the lives of those we hold so dear
We choose to live in the light of hope.

Let's all choose to live in the light of hope today!

No comments:

Post a Comment