April 2, 2013

Happiness. It comes on unexpectedly.


Good morning!  Yesterday morning was April 1 and the sun was shining so brilliantly in the morning that I tried to pretend it was really spring and wore a lighter sweater to work and my spring trench coat--the old 'act as if' principle in action.  My foolish optimism didn't turn out too well, and I think Mother Nature was playing April Fool's trick of her own...I was cold all day!  Sunshine can only do so much when the temperature doesn't rise above 32 degrees, so I guess it's back to heavy weight sweaters and my winter coat.  I sincerely hope that wherever you live spring is at least promising to arrive!
My creative daughter tried a new cupcake recipe for Easter.  I was so proud of her, as she had had a busy week at college plus extra hours at her demanding job, including working all day Saturday before driving home in the late afternoon.  Here's her offering for Easter dinner--chocolate cupcakes topped with green "grass" and strawberries dipped in orange colored chocolate to resemble carrots.
I had seen a charming idea a while back to make individual cupcake pedestals, so I spent Saturday morning creating these cute little display plates.  I found a set of six antique frosted dessert plates at my favorite antique store (six plates for $6) and candlesticks from the dollar store ($1 each) so for $12 plus some china glue I ended up with these lovely little dessert pedestals that I hope to use many times for teas and luncheons.

And in celebration of National Poetry Month, here is a lovely poem by Raymond Carver that speaks to the  ordinary and yet beautiful moments of our lives.

Happiness

So early it's still almost dark out.
I'm near the window with coffee,
and the usual early morning stuff
that passes for thought.
When I see the boy and his friend
walking up the road
to deliver the newspaper.
They wear caps and sweaters,
and one boy has a bag over his shoulder.
They are so happy
they aren't saying anything, these boys.
I think if they could, they would take
each other's arm.
It's early in the morning,
and they are doing this thing together.
They come on, slowly.
The sky is taking on light,
though the moon still hangs pale over the water.
Such beauty that for a minute
death and ambition, even love,
doesn't enter into this.
Happiness. It comes on
unexpectedly. And goes beyond, really,
any early morning talk about it
.

1 comment:

  1. Today it is sunny but oh so cold and windy! Winter isn't quite giving up yet. Love, love that poem

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete