One of the very best things about January is, of course, the return of Downton Abbey! Oh my, how I've missed this series. And oh double my, what am I going to do once it ends??! I am glad that its creator, Julian Fellows, is wrapping up this delightful series before it runs out of steam, but I know I'm going to miss it dreadfully. Last week when the opening credits began with that distinctive piano music and the camera zoomed in on the house (mansion? abbey?) I must confess tears sprang to my eyes. I get a little over-excited sometimes...
|...because everyone serves tea and sherry during Downton Abbey, right??|
My first try was a Manchester tart, with a pie crust bottom spread with apricot jam and a tasty filling, and then topped with meringue. My family all agreed it was a keeper!
Last night I tried another two recipes from the same cookbook--this time we enjoyed Florentine slices, which have a chocolate layer on the bottom (instead of a flour based crust) that is then covered with a mixture of eggs, sugar, spices, dried fruit and coconut. Baked and then chilled, the slices were delicious!! Along with the Earl Grey tea I also served a yummy blackberry tea loaf, flavored with molasses and my special mixed spices.
And to make the night even more festive, I used the beautiful Blue Willow tea cups my husband chose when we were visiting Harrods a few years ago. What a great way to finish the weekend--special memories--delicious food--and wonderful entertainment!!
- At Tea
- THE kettle descants in a cozy drone,
- And the young wife looks in her husband's face,
- And then in her guest's, and shows in her own
- Her sense that she fills an envied place;
- And the visiting lady is all abloom,
- And says there was never so sweet a room.
- And the happy young housewife does not know
- That the woman beside her was his first choice,
- Till the fates ordained it could not be so....
- Betraying nothing in look or voice
- The guest sits smiling and sips her tea,
- And he throws her a stray glance yearningly.
Have a lovely start to your week, and please remember...
It is a good day to have a good day!!