January 27, 2016

Cold blows the wind from east to west...

I have to agree with Robert Burns this time of year---up early in the morning is not for me, when the hills are covered with snow!  And yet, here I am, again, up way before dawn, peering out into the blackness and wondering if there will be even a hint of sunshine to offer hope on another dark January day.

We had a few more inches of snow the last two days, resulting in pretty scenery outside my door:




and visits from a few intrepid souls that don't seem to mind the wind as much as I do...


We have had coyote sightings the last couple of weeks in our neighborhood, and every morning I peek outside to see if there are any unfamiliar paw prints in the snow.  So far I haven't glimpsed them, but since I've seen raccoons, ground hogs, wild turkeys, deer, and a gorgeous red fox in my yard over the past few years I bet I'll catch a glimpse of them at some point.  It still amazes me that I have so much wildlife in the heart of the city!

But a glance out of my kitchen window this morning as I quietly make the coffee shows only darkness and more snow, so I'll turn to the warm and steady glow of a candle  instead to light my way towards morning.  Cold winds outside, but warm hearts inside!


Up in the Morning Early
 
Cauld blaws the wind frae east to west,
   The drift is driving sairly;
Sae loud and shrill’s I hear the blast,
   I’m sure it’s winter fairly.

Up in the morning’s no for me,
   Up in the morning early;
When a’ the hills are cover’d wi’ snaw,
   I’m sure its winter fairly.

The birds sit chittering in the thorn,
   A’ day they fare but sparely;
And lang’s the night frae e’en to morn,
   I’m sure it’s winter fairly.

Up in the morning’s no for me,
   Up in the morning early;
When a’ the hills are cover’d wi’ snaw,
   I’m sure its winter fairly.

And no matter how hard the cold wind blows, or how loud and shrill its blast, let's still remember that 
Today is a Good Day for a Good Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment