September 7, 2015

Lions and trifles and bear(naise)...oh my!

Part of the fun of visiting our long time friends always involves the two of us meandering through small art galleries, browsing in little boutique stores and judiciously winding our way through antique stores.  Last weekend was no exception--we visited the charming Mississippi River town of Winona, Minnesota, and had so much fun.  Of course we had to check out the excellent fiber store--Yarnology--where I came across this yarn.  Looks like Miss Lily will be sporting a little lion hat this fall! 

Lions...
We visited an antique store that is actually nestled into the side of a cliff, located in the historic BUB'S beer building, built in 1862.  There are 3 caves located in the building (hence the really musty, earthy scent!) but we didn't have to venture too far underground to score some real treasures.  My friend found a couple of darling delft pieces for my daughter's new kitchen, I found a beautiful set of china for my son (twelve place settings--every piece intact!), and when I turned a corner I came across this tea cookbook.  Who could resist, and at only two dollars, resistance seemed futile! 

and trifles...
In a  happy intersection of two favorite things, we came upon a small cafe that offered fresh, homemade soups and sandwiches and offered seating in the attached bookstore.  What a treat to enjoy my delicious kale and white bean soup and turkey/brie/apricot chutney sandwich while pondering which books to investigate further!  In the end, it was a no-brainer when I found this cookbook--it had me at "New England."

and bear(naise) sauce....OH MY!!
Not only do the recipes sound wonderful, but it is filled with charming pictures of many of the New England landmarks my husband and I have visited over the past few years.  I can't wait to try out the lobster bisque recipe--I've been longing for the sherry flavored bisque since our last trip to Rhode Island.  Now if I could just find a way to buy lobster that didn't involve having to cook it myself...

And since it's a holiday, it's the perfect day for a light verse that seems to fit in nicely with my cookbooks.  Happy Labor Day!!

Recipe for Happiness

2 heaping cups of patience
1 heart, full of love
2 handfuls of generosity
plenty of faith
1 handful of understanding
dash of laughter
generous sprinkle of kindness

Combine patience, love and generosity with understanding. Add a dash of laughter and sprinkle generously with kindness. Add plenty of faith and mix well. Spread over a period of a lifetime. Serve everyone you meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment