May 9, 2013

Mothers and daughters

Mothers
hold their child's hands for a moment
and their hearts for a lifetime

I don't know about you, but this week I have been haunted by the stories coming out of Ohio about the three young women (and little girl) held captive for a decade.  We've only heard the tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid, and I shudder to think of what their families will have to bear as their stories of bravery in the midst of unspeakable captivity and torture begin to unfold.  It puts a new meaning into Mother's Day, doesn't it?  I listened to an interview with Nancy Ruiz, Gina DeJesus's mother, this morning, and when asked if this is the best Mother's Day present she could ask for, her reply was so true.  "I don’t look at Sunday as Mother’s Day because every day has been Mother’s Day.” 

I cannot even begin to imagine the heartache of these young women's mothers (and one sadly died before she ever knew her daughter was alive and would eventually return home).  Today I'm saying a prayer for all the families involved, and I feel so very grateful that both my mother and my daughter are safe, and we can all celebrate our love for each other this weekend.

When I was young I always loved going to church on Mother's Day and making a special corsage for my mother.  Do you remember making these in Sunday School or perhaps in your elementary school?  The mothers all displayed their tissue paper corsages so proudly during church.  I still have a few tucked away that my children have presented me over the years.  Sometimes we made bookmarks, painted flower pots or picture frames (or even macaroni necklaces!), but no matter what the gift you knew it was going to be oohed and aahed over and used or worn proudly.


I spent last night working on a special Mother's Day gift for my mother, which will be shipped off right after work.  I can't do a big reveal yet, or it would spoil the surprise, but I will make the following observations: I love my new sewing machine and I really wish that I had not been such a snob in junior high, and had taken the home economics/sewing class!  It's frustrating when a simple project can really turn into an undertaking because I have to think and then re-think every step.  But I am happy with the result, and I'll show you the project next week!  Here's a small hint...it's NOT made out of tissue paper.

Here's a sneak peek back to the 1960's, when my sisters and I were celebrating Mother's Day with our mom.  And check out her great corsage!

Here's a handprint poem I was given one Mother's Day--we never throw these kind of gifts away, do we?  And 'scanning' it to preserve it electronically?  I don't think so!  I want the real thing.  You can't scan motherhood.

Happy Thursday, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. And a Happy Mother's Day to you! Great post -thanks!

    ReplyDelete