March 4, 2013

Snow, snow and ....daisies!

Hello, March!  We are happy to see you and hope you will bring us warmer weather and a promise of spring.  You have your work cut out, as the snowdrifts lining my driveway are over four feet high. And what is the weather man promising for today and tomorrow? More snow?!!
My husband and sons trying to keep the driveway clear...
What's a girl to do when she is surrounded by snow, snow and more snow?  Why, dream about flowers and spring time, of course!  And what says spring faster than gerbera daisies, those bright and cheerful flowers that lighten your heart and make you smile? 


Our neighborhood grocery store carries them and every Saturday morning you can buy an armful of daisies for only four dollars!  In the past couple of years I have used them to decorate my dinner table at Easter:

I used them as centerpieces for my son's backyard wedding rehearsal dinner.  I found a box of antique Mason jars at a garage sale and the daisies and jars were perfect together.

They dressed up my table at my "Royal Wedding" celebration (which involved a sleepover, cute pajamas and even cuter hats, lots of British movies to keep us awake until the wedding festivities started at 3 am, and pitchers of delicious Pimms Cups!).
My mother and I sampling aforesaid Pimms Cups....
as you can see by the cups set out, we finally switched to tea and coffee by morning...

And, when my daughter offered me the opportunity to 'surprise' her with the decor in her first college apartment, I knew where to turn for inspiration! 
source
source

Here's a cheerful poem by Emily Dickinson to start the week off on just the right note.  
 
THE DAISY FOLLOWS SOFT THE SUN

THE daisy follows soft the sun,
And when his golden walk is done,
Sits shyly at his feet.
He, waking, finds the flower near.
"Wherefore, marauder, art thou here?"
"Because, sir, love is sweet!"

We are the flower, Thou the sun!
Forgive us, if as days decline,
We nearer steal to Thee,--
Enamoured of the parting west,
The peace, the flight, the amethyst,
Night's possibility!



No comments:

Post a Comment