December 24, 2012

Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small, was singing, without any presents at all! He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming, it came! Somehow or other... it came just the same.
(from How the Grinch Stole Christmas)




I'm up early to greet Christmas Eve, a day filled with wonder and the special magic of the season.  Families gather and celebrate together, homes welcome friends and neighbors, and tonight we will lift our candles high at our church's candlelight ceremony and sing Silent Night, Holy Night.  It is so beautiful to see so many candles glowing, symbolizing the light that pierces the darkness on this holy night.  And this year, oh how I need to see the light and know that for a brief moment the world can draw together and celebrate peace and goodwill towards men.


In addition to today's holiday celebrations it is also a very special day for me--it's the day I gained a father!  My parents were married on Christmas Eve at my small country church in Indiana 52 years ago today, so today I celebrate the birth of a baby in a manger, and the creation of my family.  When I raise my candle tonight at church, Dad, I hope you can see it all the way from heaven.  It's shining for you.

Christmas Eve 1960 at my grandparents' farm--My grandparents, my mom, me and my new dad!



Merry Christmas to all my friends!  May the beauty of the season shine bright in your hearts tonight.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely memory! Merry Christmas to you and yours, my friend!

    xo
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete