December 7, 2012

 Hello, Bedford Falls! Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas, movie house! Merry Christmas, Emporium! Merry Christmas, you wonderful old Building and Loan! Hey! Merry Christmas, Mr. Potter!


I have a florist's card pinned to my bulletin board at work.  On a particularly rough day several years ago a gorgeous bouquet of flowers arrived at my office from my husband.  Opening the attached card I read "We are the Baileys".  Wow.  Four words, and it changed the tenor of my whole day.  I keep the card in sight of my computer where it always reminds me that no matter how rough or rocky a day might get, either personally or professionally, the bottom line is we are the Baileys.  It's a Wonderful Life is one of our must-see holiday movies, even though I have to confess that the last few years I seldom make it past Martini's bar and usually wake up just in time to sing Auld Lang Syne with the whole gang at the end of the movie.  Through thick and thin, lean times and periods of prosperity, celebrations of good health and anxious times of health concerns, the always gratifying but sometimes stressful times of raising a family, the one thing I have always been able to count on is my family, and most particularly, my husband.  Together we've created our own Bedford Falls, and oh, how I love it.  As you can tell from the 2004 ornament from my husband above, it's all about sharing and enjoying the wild and wacky movie script of our own lives, because truly, ours is a wonderful life.


The Most Wonderful Of All Things In Life
Sir Hugh Walpole (1884-1941)

The most wonderful of all things in life is the discovery of another human being 
with whom one's relationship has a growing depth, 
beauty and joy as the years increase. 
This inner progressiveness of love between two human beings 
is a most marvelous thing; 
it cannot be found by looking for it or 
by passionately wishing for it. 
It is a sort of divine accident,
 and the most wonderful of all things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment