March 17, 2016

So the Dickens Village is all packed up and safely tucked away for next year.  But time stops for no woman, so just as the seasons keep on changing, so do my seasonal home touches.  I hesitate to use the popular but seriously over-used word "vignettes" and frankly, I am just not creative enough or have enough time to spend hours creating perfect little scenes to celebrate the changing seasons. But I do enjoy adding a few little touches here and there, just to freshen things up a bit.  I'm rather picky when it comes to St. Patrick's Day, because I really don't like the over-commercialized little leprechauns and pots of gold, but instead prefer a more muted and vintage approach. 


My dining room buffet changed from "Silver White Winters" to a green landscape...


 I used a lovely little cottage from my Dickens Village, plus pewter pieces I've collected from different visits to Mt. Vernon.  It was fun to use my vintage cake stands to display the cottage and also a green cup and saucer from the Tower of London.  I think my little fairy adds the appropriate touch of whimsy just as well as a leprechaun would!
 

I couldn't find a banner I liked so I ended up making my own.  I used gorgeous cardstock from a collection titled "Once Upon a Time" and painted chipboard letters black, brushed with metallic gold.  Sláinte!!


My mantel in the family room changed from pink to the appropriate green...


I found vintage Irish postcards for the banner, and I love how easy it is to find free printable signs on the internet!  I added some silk greenery that I already had on hand - a new mantel display in under ten minutes!



I think I have recycled these burlap wedding pew bows as much as I can! I've decorated them for Thanksgiving, Christmas, winter time, Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day, just by tucking in a new small vintage card.  I don't think Easter eggs or American flags will look quite right with the burlap, but who knows? I may find just the right touch!


I'll leave you with the lovely Irish blessing that my sons sang in elementary honors choir, and my hope that all of you will have a blessed day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment