February 5, 2015

Winter fell...

Looking out my kitchen window...
Yay!  Mycomputer is fixed and all my annoying pop-ups and flashing media plug-in reminders are finally gone.  It had reached the point where, although my computer has virus protection, the malware pop-ups had maliciously run amok and using my computer was an exercise in annoyance and futility.  In short, it drove me crazy...every time I tried to research something I was taken to a Russian dating site.  Sigh.  A big thank you to my son for getting to the bottom of the problem and restoring internet sanity!

So...where was the snow when I really wanted it?  Our very brown Christmas has come and gone, but now when the arrival of seed catalogs has me dreaming of spring...the snow has arrived!  Thankfully, February is a short month. Spring can't be too far away, right? (ah what lovely rose-colored glasses I am wearing!)

We recently splurged on a trip to the IMAX theater to see the last two episodes of last season's Game of Throne's (HBO) and the first preview of the upcoming season.  The next day the snow began in earnest, and I had to admit to a quiet chuckle or two as I looked out at the snow and saw the back of my Little Free Library...


Why yes, Winter fell all over our yard, driveway and street!


Winterfell, the castle and seat of the House Stark in Game of Thrones

And to round off this post, here's a poem by Wallace Stevens that seems appropriate...

The Snow Man  
One must have a mind of winter
To regard the frost and the boughs
Of the pine-trees crusted with snow;
 
And have been cold a long time
To behold the junipers shagged with ice,
The spruces rough in the distant glitter
 
Of the January sun; and not to think
Of any misery in the sound of the wind,
In the sound of a few leaves,
 
Which is the sound of the land
Full of the same wind
That is blowing in the same bare place
 
For the listener, who listens in the snow,
And, nothing himself, beholds
Nothing that is not there and the nothing that is.




No comments:

Post a Comment