February 11, 2015

the dust of snow...


Ever have one of those days?  Computer woes at work...discovering you left your wallet at the office just as you are ready to check out at the grocery store after work...finally getting home after driving back to work to retrieve said wallet while husband (thank you, honey!) goes to the store to rescue unpaid groceries from customer service...reaching for your purse and cellphone in the car and discovering that somehow you have managed to lose one leather glove between work and home...managing to somehow stab yourself in the finger with your needle after administering your insulin shot (how the heck did I do that??)...and finally cutting the same finger again while opening a bottle of steak sauce.  One of those days that makes you look up at the sky and say what did I do to deserve this??

While this is a much darker poem than the small petty mishaps listed above call for, I couldn't help but think of Frost's poem A Dust of Snow...

Dust of Snow


The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.


While I didn't encounter any actual crows (which would simply have been the last straw!), I had a lovely "dusting of snow" that changed my mood and I was reminded once again of how simple acts of kindness can lift your spirits and turn a day around.  First I received a kind and thoughtful email from one of my supervisors, which made me feel really appreciated.  Then I received a sweet and lovely Valentine from a very dear friend, which made me feel special.  And then another friend sent me a cute email referencing yesterday's blog post that made me laugh out loud, which made me feel proud of what I write.  Appreciated--loved--enjoyed.  It puts paltry annoyances into perspective very quickly!


May the sun shine on you all day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment