September 25, 2012


If you have read any of my previous posts, you are probably starting to figure out that sports and I have never been on a first name basis.  As a girl I used to declaim quite adamantly that you would never catch me dating an athlete.  So what did I do?  I married an athlete, a really good athlete, and then had kids who are really good athletes.  As a result sports (football, baseball, basketball, golf, soccer, track and dance) have all been a really big part of my life for the past 30 years. 

My nightly routine involves writing a rough draft of my blog post, figuring out what I want to say, and what pictures and poems will work well with my message.  I had a lovely blog all ready for today, but after last night's heartbreak in Seattle, I felt I needed to change direction and acknowledge the pain that all of Wisconsin is feeling.  I did put a nice fall picture at the bottom of my post in case looking at the football picture is just too depressing. 




Defeated

Sophie Jewett
 
When the last fight is lost, the last sword broken;   
The last call sounded, the last order spoken;   
When from the field where braver hearts lie sleeping,
Faint, and athirst, and blinded, I come creeping,
With not one waving shred of palm to bring you,
With not one splendid battle-song to sing you,
O Love, in my dishonor and defeat,
Your measureless compassion will be sweet.
 
Autumn at Devil's Lake, Wisconsin

No comments:

Post a Comment