May 5, 2016

A+ for effort...


Spring is trying, it really is.  My neighborhood is starting to "pretty up" quite nicely, although I am growing impatient for my lilacs to really fill out and share their fragrance and beauty with me! But considering a month ago this was the view of my backyard, I feel I have very little to complain about at the moment!


Two weeks ago my lilacs were trying to fill out...


and today I'm giving them an A+ for effort as they continue their blossom journey despite rain, cold, and windy days...you're almost there, lilacs! 


The sunshine this morning illuminated my neighbor's trees and made me rush for my camera.  I love the play of the pink blossoms against the green leaves.  I would have tried for a close-up, but I was in my robe and thought crossing the street might be a tad indecorous!


Don't you love a morning that starts with sunshine??  It certainly lifts my spirits!


And since I've got lilacs on my mind this morning, let's greet the day with this lovely little poem from Robert Burns.  Maybe my cardinals have read this poem as well, since I often see them nestling in among the lilac branches and last year I had not one, but two, nests in  the bushes!  Hopefully the poet is right, and rude winter is finally behind us.  I want to sing on wanton wing as youthful May its bloom renews too!

O were my love yon Lilac fair,  
  Wi’ purple blossoms to the Spring,
And I, a bird to shelter there,  
  When wearied on my little wing!
How I wad mourn when it was torn         
  By Autumn wild, and Winter rude!
But I wad sing on wanton wing,  
  When youthfu’ May its bloom renew’d. 
O gin my love were yon red rose,  
  That grows upon the castle wa’;    
And I myself a drap o’ dew,  
  Into her bonie breast to fa’!
O there, beyond expression blest,  
  I’d feast on beauty a’ the night;
Seal’d on her silk-saft faulds to rest,
  Till fley’d awa by Phoebus’ light!
 
Have a wonderful day, my friends, and remember...
 


No comments:

Post a Comment