February 12, 2016

Valentine greetings...


Now that my little ones are all grown up and in homes of their own, I don't do a ton of "seasonal" decorating anymore.  But I did add just a few Valentine touches when I took down the Christmas decorations.  The love banner has been recycled several times--I made it a couple of years ago after I painted my china cabinet and moved it to the dining room, and then we used it for my daughter's wedding shower and also displayed it on the gift table at her wedding.  


I "upcycled" her pew bows as well!  With the addition of pine cones, the bows looked nice on either side of my china cabinet during November.  When I started decorating for Christmas I added the gold leaves, and I have now added the vintage Valentine cards as well. 


The only other area I decorated was my family room mantel.  Displaying items all together makes a bit more of a statement than tucking individual items here and there throughout the house.  The three framed prints were downloaded from Pinterest and add a nice pop of color.  The middle print has the lyrics to my favorite love song...


Flanking that print are two extra special Valentine cards.  The puppy card on the right was from my Dad, mailed to me before he married my mother and addressed inside to his "little poquito".  I treasure it.  It usually sits in my craft room/library where I can see it every day and keep him in my thoughts each and every day...


The other Valentine card is from my grandmother, mailed a month after my parents were married.  I treasure it as well.



The two figurines usually hold a place of honor in my china cabinet, but during February they regally hold court on my mantel.  "George and Martha" were a high school graduation gift to my Aunt Hester, loving passed on to me.


I found the other charming couple at my favorite antiques store--they just seemed to belong with George and Martha.  Aren't they sweet?


I have enjoyed sharing a "few of my favorite things" with you this week, and I hope you have enjoyed it as well.  This weekend I'm off to the City - it's my annual opera weekend!  I hope to have fun stories and adventures to share with you next week.  Will tea at the Russian Tea Room measure up?  Will the Van Gogh exhibit at the Art Institute be informative?  Will I manage to stay awake through the FOUR HOURS and TEN MINUTES performance of Der Rosenkavalier?  Be sure to check in next week for all the answers!

Here are two beautiful love poems from Mary Oliver's new book, Felicity. Each poem seems written for my husband and me and our own special love story...

I Did Think, Let's Go About
This Slowly

I did think, let's go about this slowly.
This is important.  This should take
some really deep thought.  We should take
small thoughtful steps.

But, bless us, we didn't.


What This Is Not

This is not just surprise and pleasure.
This is not just beauty sometimes
too hot to touch.
This is not a blessing with a beginning
and an end.
This is not just a wild summer.
This is not conditional. 


Have a wonderful weekend, and remember...
Today is a good day for a good day!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice photos and perfect poems. Happy Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos and perfect poems. Happy Valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete