February 8, 2016

these are a few...



of my favorite things (you know you are now going to have that song running through your head the rest of the day, but perhaps that is not a bad thing for a Monday morning!)


Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things
 
We didn't have raindrops this morning, but instead a light dusting of snow appeared over night.  It's so pretty right now, even if the lovely weekend temperatures are supposed to take a dive!  My teakettle isn't copper, but it certainly whistled cheerfully last night while I prepared the tea for our Downton Abbey viewing!
 

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple strudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things.

No cream colored ponies (I don't think wild turkeys and a couple of coyotes in our neighborhood are even close) but I did have a wonderful piece of apple strudel yesterday at Barnes and Noble--I love spending a Sunday afternoon browsing through stacks of magazines and books, while sipping a cup of tea in the cafe tucked at the back of the store.  It's a lovely way to peruse all those beautiful home and garden magazines that are way too expensive to consider bringing home!
 
Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things
 
I saw a picture recently on Pinterest that used part of the lyrics from My Favorite Things, and after assembling a few things from home plus a trip to my favorite antiques store, I was able to create my own display.  I am so pleased with how it turned out, and it's a nice way to still celebrate winter after the holidays with a few of my favorite things.  The fairy jar was a Christmas gift from my daughter, and I found the two mercury glass balls at my favorite antiques store.  The mercury glass jar was on clearance at JoAnn Fabrics, as were the charming little putz houses.


 
 
I had gathered the pine cones on our vacation last fall, and found this pretty vintage ornament to tuck in with them...

(dang, I see a few extraneous items have been tucked into my pewter plate along with the pinecones!)

Here is the full display, which also gives me the opportunity to still use my lovely vintage white pitcher and kerosene lamp.  My "inspiration picture" used a sign instead of a chalkboard, but I thought the chalkboard will prove more versatile, as I'm already thinking how I can change things up for Easter!
 

 When the dog bites, when the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad.

Hopefully there will be no dog bites or bee stings today, but it is Monday, so I'll hum this song on the way to work with a few of my favorite things tucked in my heart for good keeping!

Today is a good day for a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment