May 22, 2014

I've been up extra early this morning, cup of coffee in hand and prayers on my lips.  My daughter-in-law is in the hospital as I'm typing, and we are all ready to welcome a sweet new baby into our homes and hearts.  Using my "word of the week", I'm fixin' to become a grandmother!  Considering it seems like just yesterday that my oldest son was born, I must admit it feels a little disorienting to know that tomorrow he will become a father, and hold a child of his own in his arms.  Whoever said children grow up in the blink of an eye was not kidding.

Was I ever this young?  My son's first day home, almost thirty years ago...
 My son and daughter-in-law had "the bag" not only packed but in the trunk for a couple of weeks now.  The crib has been assembled, the baby clothes all washed and neatly folded, the playpen is up and the car seat is installed.  But they aren't the only ones who have been getting ready for the baby...there have been a few projects going on at my house as well!  There might be a baby gift (or two or three) waiting to be delivered...knowing me, a few books perhaps??


not to mention the banner ready to hang...will it be for a baby...

How fun to not know the sex or names!  So much to discover today!!
And last, but certainly not least, we will need to put the right sign on the door!  Not our actual front door, but the cross stitch front door that I made while waiting for the birth of my daughter years ago (wow, I just did the math and realized it was over two DECADES ago...now I am officially feeling rather old and grandmotherly!) 

Can you tell what I think the baby is??
As a fun way for my husband to announce the birth to our three boys I cross stitched a "it's a girl" and "it's a boy" sign and let him hang the sign to let our boys they finally had a little sister to complete our family.  All these years later, I can't wait to find out which sign to hang tomorrow!



As luck would have it, one of the poetry sites I follow is featuring babies the month of May, and here is a charming poem that seems perfect for today.

Song for Baby-O, Unborn

Sweetheart

when you break thru

you’ll find

a poet here

not quite what one would choose.
 
I won’t promise

you’ll never go hungry

or that you won’t be sad

on this gutted

breaking

globe
 
but I can show you

baby

enough to love

to break your heart

forever
— Diane Di Prima

Happy Birth Day, my sweet grandchild!  I can't wait to say hello.

1 comment:

  1. Hope all goes well! Congrats to your family as you continue to grow :)

    ReplyDelete