October 15, 2012

I have a confession to make.  I am a happily married woman (see last Monday's post) but if Kevin Costner were to walk in a room my knees would start to tremble, big time.  And because I'm a South Dakota girl every time I watch the movie Dances with Wolves my heart bursts with pride for the beautiful depiction of the Native Americans, the amazing scenery, the lush soundtrack and yes, the handsome Lt. Dunbar. 

Since I visited a few of my favorite South Dakota places in my blog this weekend, I thought I'd move to the Black Hills this morning and drop in on my favorite actor and this great scene from the buffalo hunt.  I remember vividly the night my family was camping in Custer State Park and we heard a buffalo roaming the campground near our tent...you can't forget the snorting, kind of whuffling sound bison make, especially when they are just feet away from you, with only a thin tent between the two of you!  Carl Sandburg's poem is certainly true about the magnificent bison herds, but if you visit the western part of South Dakota you can still see this beautiful animal roaming the plains.  It's quite a sight.

Buffalo Dusk

 Carl Sandburg
The buffaloes are gone.
And those who saw the buffaloes are gone.
Those who saw the buffaloes by thousands and how they pawed the prairie sod into dust with their hoofs, their great heads down pawing on in a great pageant of dusk,
Those who saw the buffaloes are gone.
And the buffaloes are gone.

 

Have a great start to your week!  And later this week, we'll talk about Colin Firth, but shh...don't tell my husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment