October 30, 2015

what once or twice I have seen...

Can anyone explain why it takes so long to get to Friday, and then blam, before you know it Monday has appeared, leaving you wondering what happened to the weekend?  I have lots planned for this weekend, so in addition to the extra hour we gain I hope the hours move slowly!  Tomorrow we are babysitting Miss Lily, and can't wait to see her in her Halloween costume!  I have a special gift for her that I finished this week and am excited to give her.  I also need to finish my sister's birthday present, which will be late (as usual)....sorry, sis!!  Never enough time in the day to get it all done...

The last couple of weeks the drive to and from work has been exceptionally beautiful.  I thought you might enjoy seeing a few glimpses of what I see--even though I live in a large city there is a lot of nature close by!  First I drive by the local golf course...


whose trees never fail to delight me in the fall
 

and then a few blocks later I pass my favorite spot--cresting at the top of a hill I can see Lake Wingra in the distance.  It is always four seconds of breathtaking beauty in every season...


followed by a short drive past the nature preserve, also lovely in every season but particularly pretty in the fall...



and as I approach campus, I drive by the football stadium, which oddly enough always makes me think of the Colosseum, with our Saturday gladiators suiting up.  The statue, sadly, does not remind me of a Roman pillar, however, but more like a bunch of Easter eggs stacked on top of each other.  I know it is supposed to be footballs, but in my opinion this is one football statue that is a few yards short of a touchdown!


and then as I near my workplace, I enjoy a short drive by some beautiful old homes...


and finally past my favorite church, which is getting a sorely needed transformation!  I love its beautiful steeples and can't wait to see how they will gleam in the sun after the paint job is finished.  I'll keep you posted on the progress--I can look out my windows at work and gaze at this church.  


It's such a pretty church, and  somehow reminds me of London's St. Martin in the Fields because of the large pillars in front.  You can see the difference already between the crisp white paint on the lower roof and the very top of the steeple, while the in between area is still waiting to be refreshed.
 

Driving home also has its delights-- last night  a ray of sunshine burst free from the cloudy gray sky and lit up these trees near my home.  It was so beautiful I had to pull my car over and take this picture with my phone!


With all these lovely fall glimpses I thought it only right to share a lovely poem, another one from Mary Oliver's new book Felicity.  Felicity translates to intense happiness, joy and delight, and honestly, that's what some of her poems bring me.  I hope that you enjoy them too!

The World I Live In

I have refused to live
locked in the orderly house of 
reasons and proofs.
The world I live in and believe in 
is wider than that.  And anyway,
what's wrong with Maybe?

You wouldn't believe what once or 
twice I have seen.  I'll just
tell you this:
only if there are angels in your head will you
ever, possibly, see one.


Have a wonderful day, a blessed weekend, and remember..
Today is a good day for a good day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment