August 13, 2015


Guess what?!  It's afternoon tea week in the United Kingdom!  This holiday week would have slipped by me completely if it wasn't for a couple of UK blogs I follow.  If you would like to try your hand at some proper British recipes, you might want to check out The English Kitchen, written by Marie, an American cook now living in England.  She posts great recipes every day, and has also written several lovely "cookbooklets" that you can download for 5 pounds (approximately $7.50).  I particularly love her A Royal Tea-party booklet, which she created in honor of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and includes her own delightful watercolor illustrations and twenty delicious recipes.

 photo Jubileecakes.jpg 

Another blog, The Simple Things, also sent me a reminder that it's time to celebrate my beloved tea and scones traditions.  There is also a UK magazine that accompanies this blog, which you can find in Barnes and Noble.  Since I'm a sucker  fan of all things British, I love having a cup of tea at the bookstore and perusing the pages of this magazine, oohing and aahing over the garden photos and picnic ideas.  This morning my inbox greeted me with one of their recipes for tea week--violet scones with honeyed cream.  I can't wait to try it!

37-Shop-Cover.jpg 

My September issue of Victoria magazine arrived last week, and one of the articles featured a new cookbook by chef Carolyn Robb, former personal chef to Prince Charles, Princess Diana, Prince William and Prince Harry.  How could I resist?  Well, I couldn't, so I treated myself and ordered it.

A delicious Eton Mess adorns the front cover!  Yummy! 
I have had so much fun dreaming over the pages since it arrived.  As I work my way through the recipes I'll share my successes (and flops) with you.  My husband is eager for me to bake the Coffee-Caramel-Pecan Streusel Triangles and I can't wait to try my hand at the meringue hedgehogs and mice for a tea party with Miss Lily!  I'm waiting for my mother to come visit and we can sample the Queen's Pudding--a delicious apricot bread pudding with meringue.  Hurry, Mother! 

I can't decide which I want more...the scones with Devon cream, or this beautiful cake plate! 

Come join me on my deck--morning glories and tea, a perfect combination!
 

It is also filled with delightful watercolors that make it so much more than just an ordinary cookbook.
Who wouldn't want to make shortbread after this lovely drawing of Balmoral Castle in the Highlands?

In honor of tea week I'll leave you with this little tea party poem. I hope it makes you smile!

Find time today for a cuppa and a scone and enjoy the little things that make life worthwhile.  I'm heading back to Door County this weekend, so I'll be back next week with more camping adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment