July 29, 2012

Welcome to my blog!  I am so happy you chose to spend a few minutes of your day with me.  This is a brand new blog and I am sure there will be many changes as I work my way through this new (to me) world of blogging but I am excited to share this adventure with you!  Hopefully the title gave you a hint as to what I hope to accomplish with my daily posts--my goal is to share a little of my life each day through poems and photography that I hope will move you, inspire you or just make you think about something in a different way.  Not all the poems will be well known, and I'm sure many won't be considered a 'classic' but I'm not going to pretend to be a poetry expert--I'm just going to have fun sharing the poems that have meant something to me through the years. 

My love of poetry began with my maternal grandmother, who taught school in a one room schoolhouse in Indiana during WWI.  She had the amazing ability to roll out a poem by memory each day--be it sunshine, rain, a flower, a hummingbird at the kitchen window--she could find the perfect words for the occasion.  My mother and aunts treasured poetry as well and I feel blessed to have learned early about the power of words to inspire and uplift the heart.  

So here is my first poem (edited for length...if you enjoy these verses you can find the entire poem online at http://www.eliteskills.com/c/375 ).  I hope you enjoy it, and please pour a cup of tea and join me tomorrow! Until then, have a beautiful day.


The Day Is Done 
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

...Such songs have power to quiet
The restless pulse of care,
And come like the benediction
That follows after prayer.

Then read from the treasured volume
The poem of thy choice,
And lend to the rhyme of the poet
The beauty of thy voice.

And the night shall be filled with music
And the cares, that infest the day,
Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs,
And as silently steal away.


My grandmother with my cousin Brenda (on the right) and me




No comments:

Post a Comment